C3 Vette Registry - The Best Resource on the Net for C3 Vettes! C3 Vette
Forums -> C3 Body
Not Logged In! Login or Register!  Users Online: 25 / Help 
Features  Find C3 Parts on ebay in only 2 or 3 clicks!  | Add YOUR C3 to the Registry

Supporting Vendors
Bair's Corvettes
Mid America Motorworks
VetteBookStore.com
Volunteer Vette Products
CorvetteClothing.com

C3 of the Month
None Current
Enter Yours Today!
Online C3 Show
13
C3s are Registered

Vanity Plates
27
mcclurerd
Featured Links

Buy Now
Motor Trend - $5 for 12 issues.
Motor Trend
Only $5 for 12 issues.


The Corvette Dynasty (Hardcover)
The Corvette Dynasty (Hardcover)


Corvette Magazine - $19.99 for 8 issues
Corvette Magazine
Only $19.99 for 8 issues


Corvette Fifty Years (Hardcover)
Corvette Fifty Years (Hardcover)



| Hide Signatures and Profile Pics

 New Topic New Topic Post Reply Reply New Poll New Poll Search     Search Page [1]  
10/19/17 2:05pm - Original Message: 'headlight removal'
BillHanna
Standard Member
- Send Private Message


Cana, VA - USA

Vette(s):
1975 Stingray

Joined: 7/3/2016
Posts: 71
How do you remove the headlight assembly?  What are the specific steps?  I already broke off the headlight pivot bolt, so I really need to remove the assembly now to drill out the old stub of the bolt!



____________________________________
 Reply Reply  Quote Reply w/Quote
 
Support C3VR!
Suport our advertisers
10/19/17 4:42pm - Reply: 'Re: headlight removal'
Vman73
Standard Member
- Send Private Message


Gig Harbor, WA - USA

Vette(s):
1973 L82 4 Speed Coupe - Very original, well documented driver/survivor. 2016 Bend Regional NCRS Top Flight.

Joined: 10/2/2014
Posts: 362
Hey Bill, removing the headlight assemblies can be a real nightmare if you have and rusted/snapped bolts. I can walk you through the process, or at least the one Iíve used in the past, but I have to ask which bolt is snapped off. Iím thinking it is the shouldered bolt that goes horizontally through the small pivot arm into the headlight door itself ?? Itís a pain in the a** but I have drilled out and replaced that bolt on the car from the bottom. Removing the valance panel and front spoiler usually will get you the necessary access. Itís a bit painful but a whole lot less than removing the entire headlight assembly. Let me know your thoughts.

____________________________________
John Sigmund
valkman57@sbcglobal.net
NCRS Member 61302
NW NCRS Chapter Member



Duct tape is the new Black !!
 Reply Reply  Quote Reply w/Quote
10/20/17 12:04pm - Reply: 'Re: headlight removal'
BillHanna
Standard Member
- Send Private Message


Cana, VA - USA

Vette(s):
1975 Stingray

Joined: 7/3/2016
Posts: 71
Vman73 said: Hey Bill, removing the headlight assemblies can be a real nightmare if you have and rusted/snapped bolts. I can walk you through the process, or at least the one Iíve used in the past, but I have to ask which bolt is snapped off. Iím thinking it is the shouldered bolt that goes horizontally through the small pivot arm into the headlight door itself ?? Itís a pain in the a** but I have drilled out and replaced that bolt on the car from the bottom. Removing the valance panel and front spoiler usually will get you the necessary access. Itís a bit painful but a whole lot less than removing the entire headlight assembly. Let me know your thoughts.

Good to hear from you again!

Hmmm,  I replied to this yesterday, but I don't see that reply here.

It is the shoulder bolt that pushes the headlights up that broke.

I plan on painting the car this winter, and I thought it would be easier to remove the headlight assemblies than trying to paint the flanges while they were installed.  Do these get removed all in a unit -- it looks like there are bolts at the back of the assembly that need to be removed.



____________________________________
 Reply Reply  Quote Reply w/Quote
10/20/17 1:01pm - Reply: 'Re: headlight removal'
Vman73
Standard Member
- Send Private Message


Gig Harbor, WA - USA

Vette(s):
1973 L82 4 Speed Coupe - Very original, well documented driver/survivor. 2016 Bend Regional NCRS Top Flight.

Joined: 10/2/2014
Posts: 362
Bill, the headlights are removed as an assembly, but getting the assembly out of the car is one of the tough parts. Removing the hood is required along with the AC condenser if equipped to get enough clearance to get them out the top as an assembly. The alternative to condenser removal is to drop the assembly down from the hood surround then break the assembly down into pieces for removal. There are four bolts on each assembly, two going up into the header bar support at the rear of the HL assembly and two at the front going up into the front bumper support. The ones in the back are usually simple, but the ones up front are more difficult to get to. If any of the four break off thatís where the nightmare starts. Soak the bolts with penetrating oil, soak them overnight, then soak them again. While the bolts are soaking, raise the HLís and remove the plastic bezels. They are removed forward just like you were going to replace a HL bulb. With the bezels removed, you now have access to the up stops. Two bolts on each assembly on the fender side of each HL door. With the vacuum and electrical connections undone, remove each of the vacuum canisters. Four nuts, soak if necessary, then remove all of the springs from the bottom. Take pics/notes as to their positions. With the springs removed, there is pivot pin at the end of the canister arm held in by a cotter pin. Remove that pin, the four nuts and the can should come out. With the cans removed, the doors are now loose to move up and down and the assembly is a bit smaller. Now go after the four bolts that hold the U shaped HL frame to the underside or the surround. With those four bolts removed, each HL assembly should drop down, but the assemblies are probably still too big to get out. This is where I get creative and split the assembly, removing the door from the U shaped frame. Drop one assembly at a time to give yourself the max amount of room to work and look at how the door and frame are connected. At the point where the door pivots there two round collars that control the side to side adjustment of the door. Loosen the Allen screw at each collar, soak if necessary. With the collars loose, the door should shift one way or the other to remove from the frame. Once apart, there should be enough room to get the parts out of the car !! Take a look at the four bolts mentioned above that hold the assembly in, those four are the starting point and will make or break the procedure. Sorry this is one big paragraph, a reply via my iPad does not allow me to break it down. As always Good Luck and let me know if you have any ?? John

____________________________________
John Sigmund
valkman57@sbcglobal.net
NCRS Member 61302
NW NCRS Chapter Member



Duct tape is the new Black !!
 Reply Reply  Quote Reply w/Quote
10/20/17 1:08pm - Reply: 'Re: headlight removal'
BillHanna
Standard Member
- Send Private Message


Cana, VA - USA

Vette(s):
1975 Stingray

Joined: 7/3/2016
Posts: 71
Vman73 said: Bill, the headlights are removed as an assembly, but getting the assembly out of the car is one of the tough parts. Removing the hood is required along with the AC condenser if equipped to get enough clearance to get them out the top as an assembly. The alternative to condenser removal is to drop the assembly down from the hood surround then break the assembly down into pieces for removal. There are four bolts on each assembly, two going up into the header bar support at the rear of the HL assembly and two at the front going up into the front bumper support. The ones in the back are usually simple, but the ones up front are more difficult to get to. If any of the four break off thatís where the nightmare starts. Soak the bolts with penetrating oil, soak them overnight, then soak them again. While the bolts are soaking, raise the HLís and remove the plastic bezels. They are removed forward just like you were going to replace a HL bulb. With the bezels removed, you now have access to the up stops. Two bolts on each assembly on the fender side of each HL door. With the vacuum and electrical connections undone, remove each of the vacuum canisters. Four nuts, soak if necessary, then remove all of the springs from the bottom. Take pics/notes as to their positions. With the springs removed, there is pivot pin at the end of the canister arm held in by a cotter pin. Remove that pin, the four nuts and the can should come out. With the cans removed, the doors are now loose to move up and down and the assembly is a bit smaller. Now go after the four bolts that hold the U shaped HL frame to the underside or the surround. With those four bolts removed, each HL assembly should drop down, but the assemblies are probably still too big to get out. This is where I get creative and split the assembly, removing the door from the U shaped frame. Drop one assembly at a time to give yourself the max amount of room to work and look at how the door and frame are connected. At the point where the door pivots there two round collars that control the side to side adjustment of the door. Loosen the Allen screw at each collar, soak if necessary. With the collars loose, the door should shift one way or the other to remove from the frame. Once apart, there should be enough room to get the parts out of the car !! Take a look at the four bolts mentioned above that hold the assembly in, those four are the starting point and will make or break the procedure. Sorry this is one big paragraph, a reply via my iPad does not allow me to break it down. As always Good Luck and let me know if you have any ?? John

Thanks, John.

This sounds like as much a nightmare as most of the rest of the workings on the Vette. . .  Mostly because of the tight access.

I'll take a stab at it -- sounds like I'll need some luck -- and patience!






____________________________________
 Reply Reply  Quote Reply w/Quote
10/20/17 1:48pm - Reply: 'Re: headlight removal'
Vman73
Standard Member
- Send Private Message


Gig Harbor, WA - USA

Vette(s):
1973 L82 4 Speed Coupe - Very original, well documented driver/survivor. 2016 Bend Regional NCRS Top Flight.

Joined: 10/2/2014
Posts: 362
Luck, patience, luck, patience and some more patience !! Couple more details if you attempt this. I forgot to mention when you get to the part of splitting the assemblies, the are two bushing mounts, one on each side of the doors that need to be removed from the frame. Three small bolts, need I repeat soak if necessary !! Also note the position of these mounts before removal, they are the back/forth, up/down adjustment of the door at the point of the pivot. The closer you get them back to where they were originally, the better your re-installation will go. If and while you have the assemblies out, take a close look at the header bar. Thatís the steel reinforcement where the back two bolts of each assembly attach. The header bar is bonded to the underside of the FG hood surround. With age and the elements, the bond to the FG likes to pop loose and the HL doors drop down in the back and rub badly on the FG opening. If your doing a paint job, that would be the ultimate OH SH** if it dropped down after a new paint job. If you see any sign of it coming loose that bar needs to be taken down, cleaned and re-bonded. Thatís where I got my experience with HL assemblies. Iíve re-bonded that bar on a couple different cars and the assemblies must be removed to accomplish. Have fun and keep us posted !!

____________________________________
John Sigmund
valkman57@sbcglobal.net
NCRS Member 61302
NW NCRS Chapter Member



Duct tape is the new Black !!
 Reply Reply  Quote Reply w/Quote
10/20/17 3:06pm - Reply: 'Re: headlight removal'
BillHanna
Standard Member
- Send Private Message


Cana, VA - USA

Vette(s):
1975 Stingray

Joined: 7/3/2016
Posts: 71
Vman73 said: Luck, patience, luck, patience and some more patience !! Couple more details if you attempt this. I forgot to mention when you get to the part of splitting the assemblies, the are two bushing mounts, one on each side of the doors that need to be removed from the frame. Three small bolts, need I repeat soak if necessary !! Also note the position of these mounts before removal, they are the back/forth, up/down adjustment of the door at the point of the pivot. The closer you get them back to where they were originally, the better your re-installation will go. If and while you have the assemblies out, take a close look at the header bar. Thatís the steel reinforcement where the back two bolts of each assembly attach. The header bar is bonded to the underside of the FG hood surround. With age and the elements, the bond to the FG likes to pop loose and the HL doors drop down in the back and rub badly on the FG opening. If your doing a paint job, that would be the ultimate OH SH** if it dropped down after a new paint job. If you see any sign of it coming loose that bar needs to be taken down, cleaned and re-bonded. Thatís where I got my experience with HL assemblies. Iíve re-bonded that bar on a couple different cars and the assemblies must be removed to accomplish. Have fun and keep us posted !!


I removed the valance under the front so I could get a better look at the headlight assembly.  It looks like, with the pivot bolt out, that the only thing holding in the headlight assembly is the two pivots at the back of the assembly.  It looks like the springs and vacuum stuff will all stay behind.

I'm  thinking I can "just" remove the three bolts on each side to remove the assembly, minus the springs, etc.
Am I missing something?





____________________________________
 Reply Reply  Quote Reply w/Quote
10/20/17 6:40pm - Reply: 'Re: headlight removal'
Vman73
Standard Member
- Send Private Message


Gig Harbor, WA - USA

Vette(s):
1973 L82 4 Speed Coupe - Very original, well documented driver/survivor. 2016 Bend Regional NCRS Top Flight.

Joined: 10/2/2014
Posts: 362
Bill, certainly worth a shot but I donít think there is enough side to side clearance in the hood surround opening to allow the door to be removed from the frame support without dropping it. I could be wrong, you might have come across an easier way !! Let me know if it works. John

____________________________________
John Sigmund
valkman57@sbcglobal.net
NCRS Member 61302
NW NCRS Chapter Member



Duct tape is the new Black !!
 Reply Reply  Quote Reply w/Quote
10/21/17 6:28pm - Reply: 'Re: headlight removal'
BillHanna
Standard Member
- Send Private Message


Cana, VA - USA

Vette(s):
1975 Stingray

Joined: 7/3/2016
Posts: 71
Vman73 said: Bill, certainly worth a shot but I donít think there is enough side to side clearance in the hood surround opening to allow the door to be removed from the frame support without dropping it. I could be wrong, you might have come across an easier way !! Let me know if it works. John

Success!  I was able to remove the headlight assembly by just removing the six bolts holding the shafts at the back of the assembly.  With a little twist, there was plenty of room to get it out through the headlight frame.  I have no idea how I'll get the bolts back in, particularly at the outside end.  My fat hands barely fit back there!
Thanks for your help, John.



____________________________________
 Reply Reply  Quote Reply w/Quote
10/22/17 1:00pm - Reply: 'Re: headlight removal'
Vman73
Standard Member
- Send Private Message


Gig Harbor, WA - USA

Vette(s):
1973 L82 4 Speed Coupe - Very original, well documented driver/survivor. 2016 Bend Regional NCRS Top Flight.

Joined: 10/2/2014
Posts: 362
BillHanna said:
Vman73 said: Bill, certainly worth a shot but I donít think there is enough side to side clearance in the hood surround opening to allow the door to be removed from the frame support without dropping it. I could be wrong, you might have come across an easier way !! Let me know if it works. John

Success! †I was able to remove the headlight assembly by just removing the six bolts holding the shafts at the back of the assembly. †With a little twist, there was plenty of room to get it out through the headlight frame. †I have no idea how I'll get the bolts back in, particularly at the outside end. †My fat hands barely fit back there!
Thanks for your help, John.




Bill, thank you for finding an alternate method of getting the HL doors out !! Hope that helps you get done what you needed. Please give your header bar a good inspection. As I mentioned earlier, the header bar on these cars likes to pop loose. If yours needs some attention, now is the time to do it prior new paint.

____________________________________
John Sigmund
valkman57@sbcglobal.net
NCRS Member 61302
NW NCRS Chapter Member



Duct tape is the new Black !!
 Reply Reply  Quote Reply w/Quote
10/22/17 3:46pm - Reply: 'Re: headlight removal'
BillHanna
Standard Member
- Send Private Message


Cana, VA - USA

Vette(s):
1975 Stingray

Joined: 7/3/2016
Posts: 71
Vman73 said:
BillHanna said:
Vman73 said: Bill, certainly worth a shot but I donít think there is enough side to side clearance in the hood surround opening to allow the door to be removed from the frame support without dropping it. I could be wrong, you might have come across an easier way !! Let me know if it works. John

Success!  I was able to remove the headlight assembly by just removing the six bolts holding the shafts at the back of the assembly.  With a little twist, there was plenty of room to get it out through the headlight frame.  I have no idea how I'll get the bolts back in, particularly at the outside end.  My fat hands barely fit back there!
Thanks for your help, John.




Bill, thank you for finding an alternate method of getting the HL doors out !! Hope that helps you get done what you needed. Please give your header bar a good inspection. As I mentioned earlier, the header bar on these cars likes to pop loose. If yours needs some attention, now is the time to do it prior new paint.

I didn't notice any issues with the header bar.  Everything seems tight.
I did find that the hood was cracked around the passenger side hinge.  I cleaned it up and fiber-glassed it.  It looks like someone tried to fix it with Bondo at one time. . .


____________________________________
 Reply Reply  Quote Reply w/Quote
10/24/17 1:58pm - Reply: 'Re: headlight removal'
Vman73
Standard Member
- Send Private Message


Gig Harbor, WA - USA

Vette(s):
1973 L82 4 Speed Coupe - Very original, well documented driver/survivor. 2016 Bend Regional NCRS Top Flight.

Joined: 10/2/2014
Posts: 362
Bill, glad to hear youíre on your way and your header bar looks good. Bondo to fix anything near a hinge mount is not going to last very long. Hope you glass job holds up. Let me know if you have any further problems in that area, I have a fix I can share with you. The hood on my car had been ripped of the car by the original owner, something about an open hood and a garage door that didnít end well.

____________________________________
John Sigmund
valkman57@sbcglobal.net
NCRS Member 61302
NW NCRS Chapter Member



Duct tape is the new Black !!
 Reply Reply  Quote Reply w/Quote
10/24/17 8:45pm - Reply: 'Re: headlight removal'
cinor Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
- Send Private Message


, - Canada

Vette(s):
1975 L48 Stingray 1992 LT1

Joined: 12/24/2013
Posts: 284
Man! I removed mine for a body off resto and I don't remember it being a big deal, but on that note I don't remember just the steps I took to do it either, geez old age is crappy!

____________________________________
 Reply Reply  Quote Reply w/Quote
10/25/17 3:21pm - Reply: 'Re: headlight removal'
Vman73
Standard Member
- Send Private Message


Gig Harbor, WA - USA

Vette(s):
1973 L82 4 Speed Coupe - Very original, well documented driver/survivor. 2016 Bend Regional NCRS Top Flight.

Joined: 10/2/2014
Posts: 362
cinor said: Man! I removed mine for a body off resto and I don't remember it being a big deal, but on that note I don't remember just the steps I took to do it either, geez old age is crappy!



Hey Cindy good to hear from you, how goes your restoration ?? Iím still waiting for the C3VR Annual Gathering to be in the Great White North so we can have a body back on frame party at your place !! Stella still smiles when she remembers you and your daughter in Tacoma when she puts on her ďBunny HugĒ !!

____________________________________
John Sigmund
valkman57@sbcglobal.net
NCRS Member 61302
NW NCRS Chapter Member



Duct tape is the new Black !!
 Reply Reply  Quote Reply w/Quote
10/26/17 8:45am - Reply: 'Re: headlight removal'
cinor Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
- Send Private Message


, - Canada

Vette(s):
1975 L48 Stingray 1992 LT1

Joined: 12/24/2013
Posts: 284
Hello my fellow Washington friend

I have been keeping tabs on everyone, I am hoping that they will seriously consider canada one day as an option for a gathering. I have a picture of my resto on the facebook page as I could never get pictures to post on this site. guess you will have to do a friend request if your on facebook , I don't contribute much to facebook, but put an occasional post of my resto on there. 
It is white here today,  so the bunny hugs are now under coats for our winter duds.
Say Hi to Stella for me and Sara






|UPDATED|10/26/2017 6:45:18 AM (AZT)|/UPDATED|


____________________________________
 Reply Reply  Quote Reply w/Quote
 New Topic New Topic Post Reply Reply New Poll New Poll Search     Search Page [1]  
 Forums -> C3 Body
(Moderator: Adam Wartell, Norsky, Adams' Apple)
 

 
Official C3 Vette Registry Community:
Home | Forums | Email | Who's Online | Clubs | Events | Member Stats

Other Official C3 Vette Registry Areas:
Members | Research | Shop | My Account | About C3VR
 

Corvette is a registered trademark of the General Motors Corporation(GM) & Chevrolet Motor Division. Vette Registries, LLC is responsible for all site content (except for member submitted content or where otherwise noted) and does not claim or imply that Chevrolet or GM is responsible for Official C3 Vette Registry content. Vette Registries, LLC is independent from GM and is not affiliated with, sponsored or supported by GM.  Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended, or implied and are in fact used to support GM, Chevrolet and Corvette

Official C3 Vette Registry content is Copyright 2001-2017, Vette Registries, LLC. Content may not be reused without written consent. All Rights Reserved. NS

Corvette (Vette) Model Years on this site: 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976 1977 1978 1979 1980 1981 1982 30